YPW Spanish Workshops
YPW Offers beginner to advanced level Full-Immersion Spanish workshops for young people from preschool to middle school.
“Full-Immersion” means the workshops including all instructions and activities are conducted entirely in Spanish. Even beginner students quickly become comfortable with this method of learning and absorb the Spanish language at a much quicker rate that if learning by hearing two languages concurrently.
As with all the workshops at YPW, the Full-Immersion Spanish workshops are “hands-on” fun. Young People learn trough singing songs, role-playing, and playing games. Visual aids help further the learning process. Each student is encouraged to participate verbally during question-and-respond sessions.
Thanks to our carefully developed curriculum, special method, small classes of 4 – 8 children and our excellent team of native speaking teachers, your young people will learn Spanish naturally, in a fun, engaging environment
YPW offers fun, play based, full immersion Spanish Language workshops for toddlers, preschoolers and school age children. Young People from 18 months to 12 years attend our morning or afternoon Spanish workshops on their choice of day(s) from Sunday through Friday.
Thanks to our carefully developed curriculum, special method, small classes of 4 – 8 children and our excellent team of native speaking teachers, your young people will learn Spanish naturally, in a fun, engaging environment.
- Our Spanish curriculum is packaged with art projects, games, relay races, cooking projects, drama, singing, and more, all designed to appeal to a young child’s sense of discovery and fun.
- This hands-on, interactive, high-energy approach ensures that children are motivated and engaged while learning at the same time.
- Monthly themes such as Dinosaur Land, Transportation, Going to the Zoo, UnderWater World and more, contextualize the learning experience for children.
- Our teachers use dramatic presentation, miming, gestures, facial expressions and silliness to enhance both comprehension and fun.
- The curriculum, with its varied activities, and the teaching style, with its demonstrative approach, foster in children a positive attitude toward language learning.
- The full immersion approach takes advantage of children’s unique ability to absorb the foreign language naturally, the way they absorbed English.
- In a full immersion setting, children learn a second language without having to translate
- The window of opportunity, where the brain is hard-wired to learn language naturally, exists from birth to approximately adolescence.
- Our native-speaking teachers use the foreign language for the entire session, taking advantage of a young child’s ability to mimic native accents flawlessly.
- We use bright, clear visuals, dynamic gestures, miming, vivid facial expressions, and dramatic voices to facilitate comprehension in the context of 100% immersion.
- Children are encouraged to actively use the foreign language throughout the course of each session.
- We provide consistent language clues, use choice questions, model answers and prompt group repetition to help children speak the new language.
- We use a system of rhythmic chanting to promote retention and retrieval of new words and key language structures.
- We use key phrases —simple, well articulated, consistent phrases—to promote comprehension and speaking.
- Our small groups of 4-8 children foster individualized learning; our teachers challenge each child to develop comprehension, basic verbal skills and increased spontaneous speech at his or her own pace.
- In this multi-level learning environment, newcomers learn from peer-models while more experienced children build confidence and leadership alongside more advanced language skills.
HOW DOES IT WORK?
YPW curriculum presents the Spanish language in phrases, simple sentences and target structures. We believe that language instruction for children must go beyond simple vocabulary lists to functional language. We want to give children the tools to express themselves simply in another language.
Teaching children language in functional chunks such as, “Mi nombre es____,” or “Yo quiero______” allows children to assimilate and communicate global meaning before breaking language down into its discrete grammatical parts. Linguistic research shows that children retain and retrieve language best in chunks, rather than in individual words; this approach enables them to communicate more fully, sooner.
The key components of our curriculum include:
Language Chunks: equipping children right away with functional language through key phrases and language chunks rather than just vocabulary lists
Sheltered language: using slower, well-articulated language and consistent phrasing to facilitate comprehension
Rhythm: setting key phrases and structures to rhythm as a retention and retrieval tool
Repetition: repeating key phrases and structures to reinforce retention
Constant language: optimizing exposure time to the language by providing maximum input
Positive reinforcement: rewarding children with praise at every level of participation and skill to foster a positive, can-do attitude toward language learning
YPW offers beginner to advanced level Full-Immersion Spanish workshops for young
people from preschool to middle school. YPW Spanish instructors are trained in early education and are also native Spanish speakers. “Full-Immersion” means the workshops, including all instructions and activities, are conducted entirely in Spanish. Even beginner students quickly become comfortable with this method of learning and absorb the Spanish language at a much quicker rate than if learning by hearing two languages concurrently. As with all workshops at YPW, the Full-Immersion Spanish workshops are “hands-on fun”. Students learn through singing songs, role-playing, and playing games. Visual aids help further the learning process. Each student is encouraged to participate verbally during question-and-respond sessions. All workshops include take-home material for continued review.
Chiquititos for Infants, Toddlers, and PreK – Mommy and Me Workshop
This is a series of mixed-aged workshops for infants, toddlers, and preschoolers. These are weekly, 40 minutes workshops. Parents and kids learn Spanish through songs, games, story telling. Young People participate with their care giver at their own level, when they are ready to do so. A parent or caregiver must accompany each child to the workshop. Additional siblings who have not reached their 1st birthday by the first day of class are free. It is common for young people in this age group to repeat workshops before gaining full mastery of the material.
Chiquitos: Ages 3 to 5
Spanish is fun! Parents can join the young people learning Spanish through songs, playing physically active games such as “Simon Says” and charades, creating artistic projects, and playing games like memory, bingo and dominoes. A vocabulary based on words encountered in daily life is the building block of this YPW Full-Immersion Spanish program for Young People. It is common for young people in this age group to repeat workshops before gaining full mastery of the material. 40 minutes workshop.
Chicos: Ages 6 to 9
Students learn Spanish through story telling, games, songs, and activities related to their own experiences. The Chicos workshops are designed to gradually enable students to attain proficiency in speaking, listening, reading and writing. Young people will be fully exposed to the Spanish language and benefit from learning in this “Spanish-only” environment for one or two hours a week. It is common for young people in this age group to repeat workshops before gaining full mastery of the material. 50 minutes workshop.
Muchachos: Ages 9 – 12
Students learn to communicate in Spanish orally and through reading and writing. More elaborate sentence structures and vocabulary is learned through fun meaningful activities. 50 minutes workshop.
Spanish School: Kindergarten to Middle School
This workshop is designed for students who want to learn read and write Spanish, improve their grammar and learn or improve their conversational skills. Also, this program is designed to help maintain and improve the student’s Spanish proficiency and culture while living in the United States. This program is also good for school-age children and students who have the basic Spanish language skills to comprehend classes conducted in Spanish and who want to maintain and improve their Spanish proficiency and culture. 3 hour workshop.
NEW! Now accepting online registration.
PLEASE NOTE: In order to register online for a workshop you will need to have an YPW user account. Click here to register online. On-line registration is preferred and provides instant confirmation.
You may also register for YPW Spanish Workshops by fax, mail or email.
Download YPW Spanish Workshops Registration Form here.
Please remember to include your email address in your registration form.
We do not take workshop registration over the phone.
Email: YPW@YPWKids.com Fax: 512.366.9333
Address: 3640 Bee Caves Rd, Austin TX 78746